1. Nothing says luxury like antique furniture. However, unless you’ve inherited a 19th century settee or a set of winged-back chairs, you’re going to be rummaging through expensive antique stores in search of the right furnishings. Furthermore, an antique couch might look luxurious but sitting on it might prove to be unbearable. You can find classic and comfortable pieces at Baker Furniture.
2. An indoor kitchen is a necessity, but an outdoor kitchen in a luxury. If you want to impress with your culinary skills, outfit your patio with a Viking outdoor kitchen.
3. Is there anything more luxurious than a teak deck? How about a built-in hot tub on that deck? Calderas Spas and Hydropool Industries are the elite brands in hot-tub design.
4. There’s no point spending money on a health club membership when you can use one of the extra rooms in your home as a personal gym. A stationary bike, treadmill, rowing machine and weights should be enough to kick-start your exercise routine. A personal trainer is optional.
5. Nothing says luxury like hardwood floors. Whether you replace the kitchen linoleum with gleaming hardwood, or gut the living room carpet in favor of wide planks and a light, sun-kissed shade, hardwood floors are the way to go.
6. You don’t have to live in Florida or California to enjoy the benefits of an outdoor pool. This classic amenity will never go out of style.
7. Stainless steel appliances are must-haves. From a commercial stove and a Sub-Zero refrigerator to a microwave that doubles as a second oven, the right appliances can make or break a kitchen.
8. Speaking of refrigerators. You’re going to want to keep those bottles of Chardonnay chilled. Set aside some kitchen space for an Electrolux Icon Designer Series wine fridge.
9. Whether you know some local artists or just want to support the arts, adorning the rooms with artisan décor is an ideal way to exhibit your personal taste.
10. Landscaping is essential. Remember those green with envy neighbors? What are they going to say when they see your Zen-style garden and Koi pond? From bamboo fencing to a stone and rock walkway, you want a landscape that is as dignified and well designed as your house.